Thursday, September 11, 2008

Roasted Beets with Caraway Seeds


The Beet Princess (aka me) just noticed that it's been a while since her last beetroot post (over a month!?). So it's about time for another one :)

Here's a very-very simple side dish recipe that I served just over a week ago when a bunch of my girlfriends came over for a meal and sharing of some good news. It takes no time to put together, and then it just happily cooks away in your oven while you're preparing for the party. Excellent.

I served it as part of a hot snack table, but these caraway-scented roasted beets would also be a nice hot or warm side dish alongside meat. I love how caraway seeds give this dish a very distinct Northern/Eastern European feel.

Roast Beets with Caraway Seeds
(Küpsetatud peedid köömnetega)
Adapted from Estonian women's monthly Kodu & Aed (Christmas 2007)
Serves 4

4 to 6 smaller beets
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
2 Tbsp caraway seeds
salt to taste

Using a vegetable peeler, peel the beets and cut the beets into 8-12 wedges, depending on their size. Toss all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing thoroughly.
Pour the seasoned beet wedges into a large oven dish that ideally fits them in one layer.
Roast in a pre-heated 180 Centigrade oven for about 25 minutes, until the beets are cooked.
Serve hot or lukewarm.

14 comments:

Sylvie said...

I'm bookmarking this, it sounds great!

L said...

I love beets, but the stains (on hands, cutting boards, etc.) drive me mad! Any suggestions?

maybelles mom said...

I adore beets. I would need to get caraway seeds.

Jeanne said...

The only good beet is a roasted beet :) These do have a lovely colour, and caraway seeds can improve almost any dish - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The Beet Queen thoroughly approves.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Love love love roasted beets. The sugar comes out in the roasting, and they taste just like candy.

Anonymous said...

I love this!
Beets have always been my favourite food!!
Thank you

David T. Macknet said...

This sounds truly interesting. I've been wondering what to do with caraway seeds, as we ended up with a lot of them. This is definitely worth a try!

Anonymous said...

I would really like to love beets. Their colors are so attractive and scream "healthy!" but I have a hard time getting around their earthy taste. I keep trying, though, and think that roasting and using some kind of acid (vinegar or citrus) helps. This recipe has that and I'll give it a try!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

I'm pretty much a beetroot addict - absolutely love 'em. Yours sound simple and delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hei Pille,

Me ostsime eelmisel reedel turult hulga peete ja pühapäeval röstisime peete koömnetega ja tegime ka peedi risottot. Mõlemad olid väga maistvad!

tervitustega Kölnist,
mmid

nibblescribbler said...

Always good to hear there are others out there who are as obsessed with the scarlet root as I am! Just recovering from my most recent beet bout - lipsmacking roasted goodness. Scrumptious.

Shaun said...

Pille (aka Beetroot Princess) ~ This is a fabulous idea for beetroot - I am going to make it tomorrow with my own little twists (I'll substitute the caraway seeds for fennel seeds and substitute half of the balsamic vinegar for pomegranate molasses). This is such a great, easy and tasty vegetable preparation. Thank you!!

Pilarh said...

I made this recipe yesterday. Everyone love it! The highlight of the dinner party.
Thanks!