Sunday, May 03, 2009

My favourite cheesecake recipe


Manhattan cheesecake with strawberry, mint and balsamic vinegar salsa

I just realised that I haven't shared my favourite cheesecake recipe with you. This needs to be corrected a.s.a.p., as I've told some of my Edinburgh friends that they'll find the recipe on the blog. The recipe is originally from a decade-old issue of BBC Good Food, but I've tweaked and changed both the ingredients and timings over the years. Lovers of oh-so-sweet cheesecakes out there - beware - this is a rather unsweet cheesecake. Just how I like it. It's also not as high/tall as some of the cheesecakes I saw in the US last summer - but again, I've never been a huge fan of tower-high cakes myself. 

What's your favourite cheesecake? Feel free to leave a link to the blog post/recipe in the comments.

Manhattan Cheesecake
(Manhattani toorjuustukook)
Serves 8

Base:
8 Digestive biscuits, crushed (I use LU brand, each cookie weighs ca 14 g)
2 Tbsp sugar
50 g unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
400 g full-fat Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
75 g sugar caster 
2 large eggs
0.5 tsp vanilla extract

Top layer:
250 g sour cream
2 Tbsp caster sugar
0.5 tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/180 C. 

Line the base of a 20-23 cm springform tin with a baking paper. 
Crush the Digestive biscuits finely, mix with sugar and melted butter. Press the biscuit mixture onto the base of the cake tin. Place into the fridge for 10 minutes.
To make the filling, soften the cream cheese in a bowl, add other ingredients. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon, or blend for a few minutes, using an electric mixer (I like to do the latter, as it results in a lighter and creamier cheesecake filling). 
Pour over the biscuit base and bake in the middle of a preheated 350F/180C oven for 25-30 minutes, until the filling is more or less set (it shouldn't wobble too much, when you lightly shake the cake tin). 
Remove from the oven and cool for 20 minutes.
Turn the heat up to 230C/450F.
Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract, then gently spoon onto the cooled cake. Return to the oven for 5-7 minutes, to 'dry out' the sour cream layer a little.
Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving. 

* The cheesecake on the photo is baked in a 20 cm cake tin, and is 3,5 cm high. 

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting blog you have here!

Siri said...

If you say it's your favorite, I just might have to make it!

It's been a long time since I've had a proper cheesecake, and I always find you to be a reliable source.

So if this is a Manhattan cheesecake, what do you call all those tall, sweet ones?

-Siri

Johanna GGG said...

I love the sound of this cheesecake because I don't like really sweet ones - who needs height when you have taste!

Ragne said...

mu mehe õde tegi seda kooki nami-namist ja nii kiitis seda. Peab ka asja selle tegemise ette võtma:)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Funny, I haven't shared my favorite cheesecake recipe either! But ours are some alike ...

So nice to see the 'sun' return to Estonia, loving your new photos both on Nami-Nami and on Flickr.

Acne said...

Thank youuu, cheesecake is my favorite!

Julio Góes said...

Congratulations! Very, very good recipe!

Andrew said...

Nice - I got taken to this site as I've posted up a similar recipe for cheesecake, all be it without a few of the ingredients.

http://onceuponathyme.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/best-lemon-cheesecake-ever/

I never add anything to it though, although your strawberries do look good!

Nice site - I'll be sure to pop back

Kätlin said...

Ooh, see näeb väga isuäratav välja(nagu ka kõik ülejäänud), homme kindlasti teen (:

Anonymous said...

most delicius thing i've ever eaten

Hampers said...

This cheesecake does look and sound pretty good. I have never had a manhattan one before. New York is the baked one i think and I love that! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'm having a linky party called A Themed Baker's Sunday and this week's theme is Cheesecake! I'd love it if you dropped by and link up! And join us for next week's theme: Cake/Cake Pops!
http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-5.html
Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Ein sehr sehr gutes Rezept :)